Just reading this a.m. and examining my own life against scripture:
Isaiah 42 The Lord’s Chosen Servant
1 “Look at my servant, whom I strengthen.
He is my chosen one, who pleases me.
I have put my Spirit upon him.
He will bring justice to the nations.
2 He will not shout
or raise his voice in public.
3 He will not crush the weakest reed
or put out a flickering candle.
He will bring justice to all who have been wronged.
4 He will not falter or lose heart
until justice prevails throughout the earth.
Even distant lands beyond the sea will wait for his instruction.
As well, Matthew 12: 18-21
Here’s my struggle with this laundry list for servanthood:
– The anointing of the Lord (a primary, I agree)
– The desire for justice (a given, must be there)
– Does not shout, nor lift His voice (eliminates preaching as we know it)
– … in public (so much for politics)
– He will not crush the weakest reed (gentleness is necessary)
– (N)or put out a flickering candle (if there is light at all, don’t criticize, now I’ve got work to do)
– Justice for all that are wronged (here’s where I begin to really struggle with the above…)
– He will not falter or lose heart (Trust me, I’m trying)
Wait… its not by “might nor power by my Spirit”…
Maybe there’s hope for me…in Christ alone!
….the older I get the less I understand.